The Latest: Official says hospital escape was 'wake-up call'

Published 12-12-2018

0 Ratings

HONOLULU (AP) - The Latest on an investigation into a Hawaii man's escape from a psychiatric hospital (all times local):

12:10 p.m.

Hawaii's health director says employees of a state psychiatric hospital were complacent about a man who was there for more than 40 years before he escaped to California.

Bruce Anderson says Randall Saito caused no problems before he walked out of Hawaii State Hospital last year and flew to California. Anderson says hospital staff members were collectively complacent about Saito.

A state investigation found no employee was directly responsible for the escape. Attorney General Russell Suzuki says no employee provided Saito with materials that helped Saito escape. Prosecutors have said Saito had a cell phone, cash and fake IDs.

Anderson says changes have been implemented at the hospital.

Saito was sent to the hospital in 1981 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing a woman.

Suzuki says a redacted copy of the investigation report will be posted online later Wednesday or Thursday.

___

10:55 a.m.

The Hawaii attorney general's investigation into the escape of patient last year from a psychiatric hospital found there was no single employee directly responsible for Randall Saito's escape.

However, the investigation found that the Hawaii State Hospital's inability to a

Saito was sent to the hospital in 1981 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing a woman.

Suzuki says a redacted copy of the investigation report will be posted online later Wednesday or Thursday.

___

10:55 a.m.

The Hawaii attorney general's investigation into the escape of patient last year from a psychiatric hospital found there was no single employee directly responsible for Randall Saito's escape.

However, the investigation found that the Hawaii State Hospital's inability to adjust to a population involved with the justice system was partially to blame.

After Saito's escape in November 2017, six hospital employees were placed on off-duty status. Two have since retired and the other four will be reinstated to their positions.

No hospital employees will be disciplined.

Increased security measures were put into place immediately after Saito's escape.

Attorney General Russell Suzuki said no employee provided any of the materials that helped Saito escape.

Suzuki says a redacted copy of the repo

___

10:55 a.m.

The Hawaii attorney general's investigation into the escape of patient last year from a psychiatric hospital found there was no single employee directly responsible for Randall Saito's escape.

However, the investigation found that the Hawaii State Hospital's inability to adjust to a population involved with the justice system was partially to blame.

After Saito's escape in November 2017, six hospital employees were placed on off-duty status. Two have since retired and the other four will be reinstated to their positions.

No hospital employees will be disciplined.

Increased security measures were put into place immediately after Saito's escape.

Attorney General Russell Suzuki said no employee provided any of the materials that helped Saito escape.

Suzuki says a redacted copy of the report will be posted online later Wednesday or Thursday.

__

This item has been corrected to show that the report was not released Wednesday but will be posted online later.

___

9:08 a.m.

Hawaii officials are ready to discuss findings of an investigation into a man's escape from a psychiatric hospital.

The state attorney general's office has completed an administrative investigation more than a year after Randall Saito escaped from Hawaii State Hospital.

Saito was sent to the hospital in 1981 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing a woman.

Saito was captured in Stockton, California, days after walking out of the hospital in November 2017.

Saito called a taxi that took him to the airport, where he took a chartered flight to Maui, and then a commercial flight to San Jose, California.

Officials plan to discuss the investigation's findings Wednesday.

Saito remains incarcerated in a Honolulu jail. He pleaded not guilty to escape and identity theft charges.

No comments found. Sign up or Login to rate and review content.